Wednesday 14 October 2009

My First Real Shabbat

This past weekend was my first Shabbat in Israel. I have never been “shomer Shabbat” (literally ‘guarding Shabbat’ – someone who keeps the mitzvahs of Shabbat), so it was a very new experience for me. I always thought the ‘day of rest’ was just meant for not going to work. I got the part about G-d creating the world in six days and resting on the seventh. The part that I didn’t know was that He sanctified the seventh day, making it the holiest day of the week. It’s meant to be the most spiritual day of the week, when we are closest with G-d. I’m embracing this in my quest for spiritual enrichment; and as such, I’ve decided to try keeping Shabbat while I’m in Israel (at least), and hopefully continue after I leave.

Being in Jerusalem for Shabbat was amazing. The entire city shuts down. Stores close mid-day Friday to prepare for the Friday sundown to Saturday sundown holiday. You can walk down the streets and see cars racing to get home on time, people hurrying around to prepare for Shabbat, everyone wearing their best clothes, all while the rich aromas of Shabbat cooking seep into the streets and leave you with anticipation of the celebration to come. Shabbat is considered a festive day, when a person is freed from the regular labors of everyday life, can contemplate the spiritual aspects of life, and can spend time with family.

I never made time for Shabbat before. I could only think of how unproductive I’d be; how much I’d have to catch up on; all the work, missed calls, and unanswered emails. Though I had no idea what I was missing. It’s amazing how completely unplugging from it all, even for just 24 hours, can change one’s entire outlook on the week. I can only imagine what impact keeping Shabbat might have on one’s entire outlook on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment